Our History

In 1958, it was decided to establish a Parochial Mission of Calvary Episcopal Church in Northwest Rochester. After several meetings, discussion and investigation the latter was settled. A 4 ½ acre site was purchased and construction began in July 1960. The cornerstone was laid in October 1960 as part of the centennial observances of the founding of Calvary Church. The Rt. Rev. Hamilton H. Kellogg, Episcopal Bishop of Minnesota, and The Rev. O. Wendell McGinnis, Rector of Calvary, officiated. The Rev. Peter H. Paulson was Assistant Rector. The mission church celebrated its opening services October 6, 1961, conducted by Rev. McGinnis and The Rev. Robert D. Fenwick. The two rectors continued to perform the services for both churches for several years. The building was dedicated October 29, 1961, by Bishop Kellogg, saying “The new church can become as deep a pillar in the community as we plant it.”

In 1963, the Mission Church of Calvary Episcopal Church sought the approval of Bishop Kellogg to become a separate parish and was granted. On January 1, 1964, the church became officially known as Saint Luke’s and The Rev. Robert D. Fenwick became the first rector and conducted his first service on January 12. The Articles of Incorporation were filed on January 3, the by-laws were accepted at the first annual meeting on January 19, and Saint Luke’s became the 151st Episcopal Church established in Minnesota.

%d bloggers like this: